The procedure for international adoption in the Republic of Bulgaria starts with the conclusion of a mediation contract between the applicant and the Accredited mediation organization for international adoption and Power of Attorney from the prospective adoptive parents in which they authorize the Accredited Organization to carry out certain legal and factual actions on their behalf and at their expense.
The procedure is biphasic - it begins with an administrative phase, which ends with the consent of the Minister of Justice for the specific adoption and the sending of the administrative file to the Civil Court of Sofia, where the court stage of the adoption is taking place, and ends with a valid court decision for admission of the particular adoption.
Upon receiving of the court decision in force, the Foundation "Beati" carries out all necessary technical measures to enable the adopted child to obtain new birth certificate, passport and an entry visa for the country where the adoptive parents are habitually resident.
For each stage of the adoption process there are mandatory documents necessary for its implementation, which are described in the section - Documents.
Documents needed after proposal to adopt a specific child
Documents,necessary after receiving the proposal of the specific child to be signed in Bulgaria
A. Documents needed for registration in the Ministry of Justice
- a power of attorney certified by a notary in favor of Foundation "Beati".
- a social report;
- permission for the adoption of a child of Bulgarian nationality;
- a certificate that the prospective adoptive parents are not deprived of parental rights;
- in cases where prospective adoptive parents are habitually resident in a State not party to the Hague Convention, an additional document issued by a competent authority certifying that the decision of the Bulgarian court of adoption will be recognized in the State of habitual residence of the adopters;
- a medical certificate on the physical and mental health of the prospective adoptive parents;
- conviction status certificate;
- birth certificates - although it is not a mandatory document, we recommend to be part of your general dossier;
- a marriage certificate;
- an application expressing the child's profile by the adoptive parents;
- a copy of the identity documents of the prospect parents for data reconciliation;
- photographs of the prospective adoptive parents.
All of the above documents (except for the latter) should have an apostille placed in the candidate's adoptive country.
B. Documents needed after proposal to adopt a specific child
- current medical certificates;
- current conviction status certificate;
- a certificate under Article 17 of the Hague Convention issued by the relevant Central Authority;
- a document certifying that a competent authority in the country of habitual residence of the adopters will carry out post monitoring reports of the adopted child for a period of two years from the adoption admission.
C. Documents,necessary after receiving the proposal of the specific child to be signed in Bulgaria
- application by which the adoptive candidates expresses their written consent to the adoption of the proposed child;
- a document issued by a competent authority certifying that the law of the adoptive parent's habitual residence does not allow the child to be adopted a second time until the existing adoption has ceased or a declaration by the adopters with a notarized signature that the child will not be re-adopted if the law of their coountry of origins permits so;
- a declaration by the adopters with a notarized signature, that the child will not be subjected to experimental treatment and that parts of his or her body will not be used for donor purposes;
- a statement that the given consent by the applicant-adopters is not tied to any material benefits;
- a power of attorney in favor of a lawyer of FOUNDATION BLAGOSLOVENI, necessary for the implementation of the adoption procedure.